Rich chocolate sponge layered with buttercream, cherries and whipped cream, topped with chocolate cake pops and chocolate sprinkles.
The recipe for the sponge comes from The Great British Bake Off: The big book of amazing cakes.
Ingredients for the sponge :
- 100g chopped dark chocolate 70% cocoa
- 175ml boiling water
- 2-3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 125g unsalted butter
- 350g caster sugar
- 2 large beaten eggs
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or extract
- 300g plain flour
- 125 ml double cream
Ingredients for the filling:
- 300g frozen cherries
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 150ml double cream
Ingredients for the buttercream:
- 180g soft unsalted butter
- 360g icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
For the decoration:
- Cake trimmings
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Prepare the cherry filling first. Place cherries in a saucepan, add 2 tbsp water and slowly bring to the boil, simmer for 3 minutes. Mix the corn starch with 2 tbs cold water until smooth, pour it into the simmering cherries and start mixing vigorously until it thickens. Take of the heat and leave to cool completely.
- To make the sponge: preheat the oven to 180°C and line 3 x 8 inch sandwich tins with baking parchment. Place the chopped chocolate in a bowl, add boiling water and cocoa powder and mix until melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Place the softened butter in a bowl of standing mixer, add sugar and beat together for 5 minutes until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs until combined, add baking soda, vanilla extract, flour, cream and the chocolate mixture on the end.
- Divide the mixture between the 3 tins and bake for 20 minutes, until the skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Leave to cool in tins for 10 minutes, and then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- To make the buttercream beat the butter until light and fluffy, gradually add the icing sugar and beat for about 5 minutes. If the icing seams a bit dry, add 2-3 tbsp of milk and beat again for 3 minutes. Place the buttercream in a piping bag.
- Whipp double cream until stiff peaks.
- To assemble the cake, trimm the sponges so they’re nice and flat, keep the trimmings to make the cake pops for decoration. Place the first sponge layer on a serving plate and pipe large dots of buttercream around the edge. Spread a thin layer of the buttercream in the middle, place the third of cherry filling on top and cover with a layer of whipped cream. Place the second sponge on top and do the same with this layer. Finally place the third sponge on top, spread some whipped cream, place the rest of cherry filling on top. Put the rest of buttercream into a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe some decorations on top. Finish with chocolate sprinkles and cake pops.
- To make the cake pops, crumble the cake trimmings, add very soft butter and knead until combined. Form small balls and roll them in sprinkles.
- Eat, don’t count the calories just enjoy!!
Content for the tab Polski