This is the best recipe for a yoghurt sponge cake. It is easy to make and always works. The cake is soft and moist and stays fresh for a few days, the mixed berries are very refreshing – all that topped with sweet crumble.
Size of baking tin: 25cm/10inch
Baking temperature: 175°C without fan or 160°C with fan. Baking time 45-60 minutes.
Ingredients for the sponge:
- 360g plain flour
- 3 medium eggs
- 180 g sugar
- 70 ml sunflower oil
- 300g natural yoghurt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 300g mixed berries: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
Ingredients for the crumble:
- 150g plain flour
- 100g sugar
- 100g cold butter
- Prepare and measure all the ingredients. Eggs and yoghurt should be at a room temperature. Line the bottom of the baking tin with parchment and grease the sides. Turn the oven on: 175°C or 160°C for a fan assisted oven.
- First prepare the crumble by rubbing buter, sugar and flour together until breadcrumbs consistency. Place in the fridge whilst making the sponge batter.
- For the sponge place sugar and eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk until very pale, thick and fluffy.
- Continue mixing and slowly pour in the oil, then add the yogurt and mix on slow speed until just combined.
- Add flour and baking powder and gently stir in with a hand whisk, just until no lumps of flour remaining.
- Transfer the mixture to the baking tray and spread evenly. Add the mixed berries and sprinkle with crumble.
- Bake for 45 minutes. After this time check if the cake is baked by inserting a skewer into the centre. It should come out without bits of wet batter. If needed, bake for 10-15 minutes longer.
- Turn the oven off and open it just a little bit, leaving the cake inside for 15 minutes to start cooling down slowly. After this time take out of the oven and after 10 minutes take out of the tin and place on a cooling rack.