This victoria sponge cake is the most scrumptious, fluffy and delicate cake I have ever eaten. The classic combination of vanilla sponge, buttercream and strawberry jam makes a great cake for any occasion.
Ingredients for 2 layers:
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g self rising flour*
- 4 eggs
- 200g soft butter or baking spread
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
For the filling:
- 100g soft butter
- 140g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3-4 tbsp strawberry jam
- Icing sugar for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two 8 inch sandwich tins with baking parchment.
- Place sugar and butter in a mixer bowl and beat for 30 seconds. Add flour, baking powder, eggs and milk and beat until combined.
- Divide the mixture between the tins, level with a spoon. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden and the skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool down in tins for a few minutes and then turn onto a cooling rack.
- Prepare the filling. Beat the butter until pale. Slowly add the icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy. On the end of mixing add a drop of vanilla.
- When the cakes are completely cooled spread the butter cream over one of them and top with jam. Place second sponge on top and dust the cake with icing sugar before serving.
For a lighter version of the victoria sponge cake you can use unsweetened whipped cream instead of the buttercream.