Eton mess cake.. fluffy sponge, whipped cream, strawberries, blueberries and mini meringues. It’s soooo delicous. The great thing about this cake i the “mess” bit😆. You don’t need to make it pretty, straight, smooth.. Just spread some cream, throw some chopped strawberries, a handful of blueberries and some meringue to complete the mess🤪. Done! Quick and easy, yet fabulous!!
Ingredients for the sponge:
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g softened butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 200g self-raising flour*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp milk
*If you don’t have the self rising flour, you can use 200g plain flour and add 1,5 tsp baking powder (plus the baking powder that already is in the recipe).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line two 8 inch sandwich tins with baking parchment.
- Place sugar and butter in a mixer bowl and beat for 30 seconds. Add flour, baking powder, eggs and milk and beat until combined.
- Divide the mixture between the tins, level with a spoon. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden and the skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool down in tins for a few minutes and then turn onto a cooling rack.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 300ml double cream
- 50g icing sugar
- 100g meringues
- 300-400g fresh strawberries
- 150g blueberries
If you’d like to make meringues yourself you will find a recipe here.
When the cake is completely cool you can prepare the filling. Simply whipp the cream and icing sugar until stiff peaks. Wash and cut strawberries into halves.
Place the first layer of the cake on a serving plate, spread a half of the whipped cream, cover with half of strawberries, blueberries and meringue. Add the second cake layer and press down gently. Spread the rest of the whipped cream, fruits and meringues. And your eton mess cake is ready to serve. Enjoy!!!
Content for the tab Polski