Cherry and vanilla are two of my favourite flavours. Combined with this soft and fluffy dough they will make the best breakfast rolls. The dough can be prepared in the evening, placed in the fridge over night and shaped in the morning. The swirls could also be shaped before placing in the fridge, covered with cling film to prevent drying and ready to bake first thing in the morning.
Ingredients for the dough:
- 250 ml milk
- Vanilla pod
- 110g melted butter
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 10 g dried yeast
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3,5 cups bread flour
- for the filling use good quality cherry jam – about 4-5 heaped tablespoons.
For the icing:
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 3 tbsp warm milk
- Pour milk into a saucepan, add vanilla seeds and place on the low heat. When hot, but not boiling, take of the heat, leave aside to cool down. Add butter, sugar and eggs and mix well.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, add salt and dried yeast. Pour in the milk and eggs mixture. Using a spoon, combine all the ingredients and then knead the dough until smooth. If it’s to sticky as a little bit of flour, but no more than 2 tablespoons. Form a ball, place in a bowl, cover with a tea towel and leave to proof for 1,5 hours in a warm place.
- After proofing, knead the dough for a minute. Line a rectangular baking tin (32x22cm) with baking parchment.
- Take about 150g of the dough and roll it out to fit the bottom of the tin. This will make a base to prevent jam from leaking out of the swirls. Roll out the rest of the dough into a rectangle 30×40cm. Spread the jam leaving 2cm edge of the dough clean and roll it from the longer side. Cut into 15 slices and place them in the baking tin base. Leave to proof for about 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and bake for 25-30 minutes. Decorate buns with the icing while still warm.